For 5 Years - 12 Years
Introduction to Water Skills
Participants will participate in activities which allow them to feel comfortable in the water and enjoy water safely. Students will learn elementary aquatic skills such as breath control, underwater swimming, buoyancy, swimming on front/back and personal water safety.
(Prerequisite = Participation in Swim Test).
Level 1 Skills Learned
(must be completed independently)
- 5 continuous bobs-fully submerged showing bubbles.
- Bird arms & legs-5 yards-superman glide to wall 2 yards.
- Front starfish float, fast baby kick, big scoops, face in water-5 yards w/at least one independent breath-superman glide to wall 2 yards.
- Back starfish float, fast baby kicks, big backward scoop-5 yards-superman glide to the wall 2 yards.
- Jump into pool, tread 3 seconds & recover to wall unassisted.
Fundamental Aquatic SkillsParticipants explore simultaneous and alternating arm and leg action on the front and back. This lays the foundation for future strokes such as freestyle, backstroke and butterfly.
(Prerequisite = A Learn-To-Swim Level 1 certificate or demonstrated competency of Level 1 skills through a Swim Test)
Level 2 Skills Learned(must be completed independently)
- 10 bobs-tread (30 seconds)-bird arms & legs 15 yards.
- Kicks w/boards (front, back, bird)
- Freestyle-15 yards-rotary breathing.
- Backstroke-15 yards-stroke count with flags.
- Butterfly-15 yards.
- Ring retrieval-3 foot depth.
Stroke DevelopmentParticipants will learn to coordinate the front and back crawls. They will also learn elements for the butterfly and the fundamentals of treading water.
(Prerequisite = A Learn-To-Swim Level 2 certificate or demonstrated competency in Level 2 skills through a Swim Test)
Level 3 Skills Learned(must be completed independently)
- 10 bobs-tread (1 minute)-float (5 seconds)-elementary backstroke 20 yards.
- Freestyle-20 yards with streamline.
- Backstroke-20 yards with streamline.
- Butterfly-20 yards with streamline.
- Breaststroke-20 yards with streamline.
- Ring retrieval-5 foot depths.
Stroke DevelopmentParticipants will improve skills and increase endurance by swimming greater distances. Elementary Backstroke, Breaststroke and elements of sidestroke are introduced.
(Prerequisite = A Learn-To-Swim Level 3 certificate or demonstrated competency in Level 3 skills through a Swim Test)
Level 4 Skills Learned(must be completed independently)
- 20 bobs-tread (3 minutes)-float (5 seconds)-elementary backstroke 40 yards.
- Freestyle-40 yards with flip turn & streamline.
- Backstroke-40 yards with flip turn & streamline.
- Butterfly-40 yards with open turn & streamline.
- Breaststroke-40 yards with open turn, streamline, under water pull outs.